We made it to the end of the year more or less intact. I think that’s worth celebrating. It’s been a crazy startup year here at The Gamer Assembly, and we feel like there’s so much more for us to do and get involved in. Keep an eye out for some of our upcoming projects: a post-apocalyptic mini-setting in January, and the Campaign Season Military Blogfest in February.
Thank you for giving the new blog on the block a look, and we’ll see you in 2012!
Articles posted here on The Gamer Assembly.
- December’s theme at The Gamer Assembly is Favorite Gaming Memories.
- January’s theme at The Gamer Assembly is The Beginning of the End, in honor of the end of the Mayan calendar cycle.
- Our Fondest Gamer Memories summarizes the articles and memories for December’s theme in one convenient place.
- Adventures Should Die by Brent Newhall argues that RPG writers need to move past adventures and to settings, scenarios, and mechanics.
Content from people involved with The Gamer Assembly posted elsewhere across the Internet.
- Check out the entries in Got Loot – The Festive Blogfest! Everything from detailing gems, to the nature of loot, to the Antiquity Seeker character theme, to magic items made from the bones of Orcus are available for your perusal.
- Want to play a Ghostbusters RPG? Don’t want to buy the out-of-print 1980′s edition? Brent Newhall, the RPG Doctor, writes about a game of InSpectres, which captures the feel perfectly.
- 3 Dice Dungeon, A Solitaire Dungeon Crawl Game (also by Brent Newhall) is a solo game of classic dungeon adventure that only requires a few six-sided dice and a scrap of paper to play.
- The 3 Types of Loot by T.W.Wombat saves prep time by categorizing treasure from the party’s perspective. Written for both the Got Loot Festive Blogfest and the Schrödinger’s Gun GMing series of articles.
- Weeping Angels – Steal This Monster by Brian A. Liberge, the Weeping Angels from Doctor Who are re-imagined as Far Realm monstrosities for your 4e game.
- Got Loot: Wichtrift by Chris Jackson presents a mid-heroic special item which causes full damage to insubstantial enemies, but passes through corporeal enemies as if they were not there. An entry for the Got Loot Blogfest.
Other interesting articles and cool links.
- Secret Santicore 2011 over at Giblet Blizzard offers 104 pages of OSR gaming goodness for the holidays. Download a PDF chock full of adventures, random tables, encounters, items, and much more all for the insanely low price of absolutely free.
- Being Your GM’s Best Player at The Dragon Fisters gives some good tips on how to be a great player. Common sense, but worth rereading.
- Player vs. Player by Chris Perkins at Wizards of the Coast sings the praises of setting up character vs. character situations. He admits that player vs. player is “a deliberate misnomer”, but the idea of intra-party conflict for the sake of story has worked for me in the past.
- State of the Hat 2012 by Fred Hicks lets us peek at next year’s upcoming projects from Evil Hat Productions, including Fate Core, a Spirit of the Century novel, a couple of Gumshoe games, and the Zeppelin Armada card game.
- Daniel Solis muses on Louis CK’s success with the Direct-to-Fan Window and proves that he makes a mean Venn Diagram. Really interesting insight into Daniel’s success with Happy Birthday, Robot! and Do: Pilgrims of the Flying Temple.
A roundup of roundups featuring links of interest to the tabletop RPG community.
Please let us know about other weekly roundups in the comments!
- Game Knight Reviews comes out with News From Around the Net articles on Fridays. This week’s roundup closes out the year with links running the gamut from RPG art to Samurai Jack to the Child’s Play charity.